In North Texas, we?re used to having warm weather at least 8 months out of the year; and we get used to needing the services of pest control companies in McKinney, TX during those months. ?Unfortunately, bugs and critters don?t leave us alone during the few cold months we have in our part of the state either. ?In fact, winter time can mean an increase in the amount of bugs inside our homes because our winters are cold and dry and bugs are looking for warmth and water.
Pests Love Our Warm Homes
Rats and mice that might normally forage for food outside in the warm months find their way into our homes when the weather gets cold. ?Attic spaces become the ideal nesting place for wasps like yellow jackets and spiders like the Black Widow trying to avoid the cold and laying eggs that will hatch in the spring. ?In the winter months, pest control companies in McKinney, TX can find them and eliminate the problem before spring babies start to emerge. ?Pests that normally live in our homes all year round, like cockroaches, termites and carpenter ants, stay active during the colder months. ?They continue to look for moisture and continue consuming our wood or our kitchen scraps.
Self-Help Tips For Winter Pest Control
Before the cold weather hits, there are some preventative measures you can take that can keep the majority of bugs and rodents out of your home:
- Repair damaged screens on windows and install door sweeps on all exterior doors. ?
- Put screens or mesh over vents and chimney openings.
- Caulk all cracks, crevices and holes on the outside of your home like utility and pipe entrance points.
- Check for water leaks in and around your home. ?
- Store firewood as far away from your home as possible and make sure there is no debris near the ??foundation of your home.
- Keep shrubs and trees near your home trimmed and make sure tree branches don?t touch your roof.
- Don?t leave pet food outside of your home any longer than necessary.
- Keep food in your kitchen tightly sealed and clean up food messes quickly.
- Inspect your attic, garage and the outside structure of your home for wasps nests, spider webs,?egg cases etc. that should be removed before spring.
Even when you?ve done all of these things, you may still get bugs or rodents inside your home this winter. ?When that happens, call one of the best professional pest control companies in McKinney, TX, Stampede Pest Control, at (713) 714-6970. ?At Stampede, our pest control experts can do a thorough inspection of your home to find bugs you may have missed and eliminate any infestations you?ve noticed. ?Visit stampedepestcontrol.com to find out more.